A. Varsity Tournament Eligibility
- Any team of students who are enrolled for the current academic year at the same accredited diploma granting entity are eligible to compete in TQBA events if he or she meets additional event specific criteria:
- Open: All teams of high school players are eligible to attend
- Invitational: Open to players and teams specifically invited by TQBA
- Challenge: Open to teams who did not qualify for nationals during the previous season OR players who have not scored more than 30 ppg in any TQBA tournament (regardless of whether their team qualified)
- Freshmen: Open to teams of freshmen who have not scored more than 30 ppg in any TQBA varsity event during any previous varsity season.
- A student is not limited in the number of years he or she may participate in TQBA events
- Students who attend non-diploma granting 9th and 10th grade feeder entities to a diploma granting entity are eligible to participate with the diploma granting entity if:
- the non-granting entity feeds exclusively into the granting entity
- documentation of the situation is provided to the executive director prior to the student’s competing in his or her first event of the year
- Students from the same middle school can be eligible to play (with explicit permission from the TQBA director) in a varsity competition.
- Players with special circumstances linking them to a specific school may request an exception from TQBA to be granted affiliation with that school. Such requests should be sent to the TQBA director as soon as possible.
B. Middle School Tournament Eligibility
- Any team of students who are enrolled for the current academic year at the same accredited entity are eligible to compete in TQBA Regular Season Middle School events if:
- no team member has advanced beyond the 8th grade.
- no team member has played in a TQBA varsity event that calendar year
- Middle School Students who have played Varsity during calendar year are nonetheless eligible to participate in the Middle School State Championship event.
C. College Tournament Eligibility
- Varsity students are generally eligible to participate in TQBA college events
- Middle School students are generally ineligible to participate in TQBA college events
- For all college tournaments hosted by TQBA, we are bound by the policies set by the sponsoring national organizations (i.e. ACF or NAQT) which may supersede these policies.
- Teams of high schools students wishing to play in a TQBA sponsored college event are not required to play under their school name and may instead play as a quiz bowl club.
D. Middle School students playing in varsity events
- Middle school students are generally not eligible to participate in high school events unless students receive explicit permission from the TQBA director to do so
- Middle school students who play in varsity events are ineligible to play in middle school events
- Middle school students who have received permission to play in varsity events may represent the high school into which they feed at those events
- As long as they meet grade-level restrictions and are educated in the same facility on a daily basis, any group of students may play together at Texas Quiz Bowl events regardless of the status of their official affilitation with a school.
F. Mixed Teams
- Though not a typical circumstance, for the purposes of quiz bowl development teams of otherwise eligible students from different schools can be eligible to play together in TQBA events of all types.
- The preceding rule is applicable to home school groups.
- Any team of players not educated in a single facility must receive explicit permission from the TQBA director to play in any event.
- When they do play, mixed teams will do so on an exhibition basis. Mixed teams are ineligible to win a tournament, qualify for future competitions, or earn points towards qualifying for future competitions.